Friday, August 14, 2020

Good, Bad, and Ugly of Professional Development

 These past 2 weeks has been a eye opening experience for the good, bad, and ugly professional development. For me, I actually like to improve and gather new resources and tools to grow as educator, BUT I can not stand terrible professional development. This past summer, I have done tons of professional development to get up to speed on virtual learning. Some of the training include: 

  • ISTE Summer Learning Academy
  • STEM/STEAM Forum from Georgia Department of Education
  • Common LIT
  • Discovery Educators Network Summer Institute (DENSI) 
  • Sphero training's 
  • NSTA webinars
  • Google certification (SO Hard to read through....still working on it)
  • Microsoft Innovator Educator trainings 
  • Simple K12
  • Adobe Education Summit
  • PBS Anti-racist series 
Of course the DeKalb district professional learning institute (PDI) and I really mixed feeling about the training. Information for the modules was okay, but the delivery and planning time was very inadequate for everyone. I did like the intense review of high impact teaching strategies and I gained the most information from these modules.  

I was even part of professional development for STEAM project based learning. That training was able to educate about 25 faculty at Chamblee Middle School on the importance of STEAM and also start getting online PBL units created for Unit 1 for 6th, 7th, and 8th. There are hopes to finish the PBL units and a launch date of end of September. I really enjoyed this training and being part of the leadership for the training. 

Overall reflection on professional development is that feeling PD can be like a 💎 in regards of being very bright or super dull. I just need make a professional development growth plan and outline learning goals for my teacher toolbox. 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lab Safety and Online Safety for STEAM (3rd Day of Class)

 Teaching of safety to our students is not a highlight of the class and it can be boring....so I used a variety of teaching platforms to mak...